Ordinary tourist visa is issued to citizens of Japan, other states and persons without citizenship for a short-term stay in Russia based on a tourist acceptance confirmation issued by a Russian touristic organization that is registered with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation and has a tourist reference number. A tourist visa is issued for the following purposes:
- tourism (visiting cultural events, excursions, sight-seeing)
- short-term business negotiations
- exhibitions, auctions
- medical consultation or examination
In case if the tourist visa is requested to participate in business negotiations, exhibitions, auctions or to undergo a medical consultation or examination, the field "Purpose of visit" of a tourist confirmation should be filled in as "Purpose tourism". The validity period of such visas is determined by the number of days required to fulfill the purpose of visit, which is specified in a tourist confirmation.
A tourist visa may allow single or double/multiple entry to the Russian Federation. The below conditions should be respected:
- The maximum period of stay in the Russian Federation with a tourist visa is up to 30 days.
- A double-entry tourist visa is issued to a foreign citizen only if according to the documents during the stay in the Russian Federation he/she plans to visit a third country and to return through the territory of the Russian Federation. In addition, a detailed travel itinerary should be included in the package tour description (or in the confirmation of acceptance of a foreign citizen issued by a host Russian organization).
- From January 1, 2017 based on the article 25.6 of the Federal Law №144-ФЗ of 5 August 1996 the diplomatic missions and consular institutions of the Russian Federation issue for the Japanese citizens multiple tourist visas with the validity period up to 6 months. Such visas allow Japanese tourists to stay in Russia for 30 days continuously and for 90 days in total.
Please note! Foreign citizens traveling on cruise ships and ferryboats that make a stop at Russian ports (Big and Passenger ports of Saint-Petersburg, Vladivostok, Vyborg, Kaliningrad, Korsakov (Sakhalin Oblast), Novorossiysk, Sevastopol and Sochi) for no more than 72 hours can stay in Russia without a visa, provided that they live on board a cruise ship, ferryboat or at any other place indicated in the group tour program and the tour organizer has carried out all necessary procedures.
The following documents are required in order to apply for a tourist visa:
- A tourist confirmation issued by the Russian organization that provides tour operator services and is listed in the Unified Federal register of tour operators. This document must be issued on a single prescribed form "On the admission of foreign tourists", signed by the responsible person and bear a stamp of a Russian tourist company. If tourist services are provided by different tourist companies, tourist confirmations of every company should be provided;
- Passport with no less than 2 empty pages for visas, valid for 6 months from the visa expiry date;
- Electronic Visa Application Form, filled out in Russian or English, and printed directly from the following website of the Consular Department of the Russian Foreign Ministry: https://visa.kdmid.ru. (Please follow the instructions for the procedure, available at the above mentioned website, provided in Russian as well as other languages, including Japanese). Citizens of Georgia, Australia and CIS countries must fill in the visa application in Russian. The Russian Visa center can fill in the visa application on your behalf.
- One passport size (3.5 x 4.5 cm) clear photo in color taken full-face directly facing the camera and against a plain white or light-colored background. Only non-tinted prescription glasses and head covering worn daily for a religious purpose or as a part of national costume (in this case the same head covering must be worn in the passport photo) are allowed. At the Russian visa center you can opt for "Express Photo" service;
- If you are not a Japanese citizen please check the additional requirements for the citizens of your respective country and follow this link to check the additional information.
You can also use our Postal service to submit your visa application by post.
Important! In case you have two or more valid passports, please make sure there are no valid Russian visas in any of the passports before submitting your visa application.
Please note! The Consular section of the Embassy of the Russian Federation in Japan may request additional visa documents, invite you for an interview or extend the time of visa issuing procedure.
Rates and Terms
|For citizens of Japan
|11-20 working days (tourism, transit)*
|6-20 working days (other categories)*
|4-10 working days (tourism, transit)**
|4-5 working days (other categories)**
|1-3 working days
||10000 JPY||4500 JPY
|For citizens of other countries ***
||Single / Double / Multiple entry
|6-20 working days||9600 / 15360 / 28800 JPY
|3-5 working days
||19200 / 30720 / 57600 JPY
* Japanese nationals applying for Tourist and Transit visas are exempted from visa fee if processing time is over 11 working days. For other visa categories this exemption is applicable with processing time starting from 6 working days.
** Japanese nationals applying for Tourist and Transit visas should pay 4000 JPY visa fee if processing time is from 4 to 10 working days. For other visa categories this tariff is applied if processing time is from 4 to 5 working days.
*** If the Russian Federation has a separate bilateral agreement on visa fees amounts with another state, the visa fees applied for the citizens of this state should correspond to the conditions of this agreement.
Multiple entry visa applications with direct invitations from a company/individual are processed within at least 10 working days. Such visas can be issued only in case the applicant visited Russia during the previous year.
All fees are paid at the Visa application center in Japanese yen by card or in cash.
Processing time doesn't include the day of submission and starts from the day the documents are delivered to the Consulate. In certain cases the Consulate can extend or reduce the processing time.
Filling in the Russian visa application form
The application form for a Russian visa should be filled in online on the website of the Consular Department of the Russian Foreign Ministry: https://visa.kdmid.ru.
At your request we can fill in the application form for you at the visa center. This is a paid additional service that costs 750 JPY for each page of the application form.
A separate application form must be filled in for each applicant.
If you are going to fill in the application form by yourself, please follow the below recommendations:
- Read carefully and follow the instructions and tooltips on the website.
- When registering a new application form, create a password consisting only of Latin alphabet letters and numbers.
- Write down the password and the number of your application from, which will be assigned automatically. Take your number and password with you to the visa center. The number and password will be useful if you need to print out the form or make corrections, so as not to fill in the entire form again.
- Name and surname spelling must strictly correspond to your passport data page.
- Specified purpose of your travel, duration of stay and number of entries, the data of the host person or organization (name, date of birth, address) should correspond to the invitation.
- Enter information about your previous trips to Russia and other foreign countries according to exit-entry stamps in your passport.
- At the final stage please select the place of submission of your application — Visa Application Center (Tokyo).
- After filling in the application form on the website, print it out in one copy and take it to the visa center.
- If you do not have a printer, we can print out your application form at the price of 100 JPY per sheet.